The United States Patent and Trademark Office allows inventors to submit nucleotide or amino acid sequeneces to the Office in computer readable media. The Office promulgated regulations regarding the media on which they may be submitted.
(c) Computer readable form files submitted may be in any of the following media:
(1) Diskette: 3.50 inch, 1.44 Mb storage; 3.50 inch, 720 Kb storage; 5.25 inch, 1.2 Mb storage; 5.25 inch, 360 Kb storage.
(2) Magnetic tape: 0.5 inch, up to 24000 feet; Density: 1600 or 6250 bits per inch, 9 track; Format: Unix tar command; specify blocking factor (not “block size”); Line Terminator: ASCII Carriage Return plus ASCII Line Feed.
(3) 8mm Data Cartridge: Format: Unix tar command; specify blocking factor (not “block size”); Line Terminator: ASCII Carriage Return plus ASCII Line Feed.
(4) Compact disc: Format: ISO 9660 or High Sierra Format.
(5) Magneto Optical Disk: Size/Storage Specifications: 5.25 inch, 640 Mb.
[ruffles through office] I know I have a five-and-a-quarter disc here somewhere.